It's 7PM here, and I'm so tired that I consider the day over. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight? It's weird to think that most of you have just started your day; getting ready for a lazy Sunday afternoon, I'm sure.
Anywho, I promised to keep you updated, so here it goes. I'm just going to *mention* Thursday, because I hope to find some pictures to post later. As I told many of you, we went to a club and there was a LADY GAGA IMPERSONATOR. Sooooooo wonderful. Half of the SLU study abroad people were there, so it was fun to see everyone. I went with Tracy (my roomie who's studying at Duke's sister school here) and the other Duke people. They seem like a nice group!
Friday night saw a tapas outing that was organized through SLU Student Life. A few of the ambassadors were supposed to take out anyone who wanted to go a tapas bar to get some genuine Spanish food. Apparently, the most they've ever had show up is 10-15 people, but on Friday there were at least 40 of us! Coordinating Metro rides and finding tables for us all was difficult, bu I met some new people who I ended up hanging out with in Segovia, so the craziness was worth it. Speaking of ambassadors... I applied to be a Dual Campus Ambassador, and sometime this week I find out if I get an interview! The Dual Campus Ambassadors help out the regular ambassadors here, plus help get the next batch of study abroad kids ready once back at SLU. You all know me... Ambassadoring + Spanish, could it get any better? Keep your fingers crossed for me!
(Haha, Nena's family is over and they're watching a futbol game, my 70-something year old host mom is currently screaming "GOL!!! GOL!!!!" She's so funny, I just love her!)
Yesterday was a SLU day trip to Segovia, a town North of Spain that was a powerhouse during the Roman times. It was really prosperous up until the Inquisition (losing a huge percentage of your productive population tends to cause economic distress), and now it's a cute little town with a lot of history. Here are some pictures:
The Alcazar: a real castle!
View of the mountains from in front of the Alcazar
Me in front of a view of some of Segovia. Can you see the mountains in the background?
The Roman Aqueduct for which the city is famous.
Segovia was a great place to spend a day just walking around and taking in the sights. A few people I met at Tapas Night and I got lunch at a nice little restaurant where the city gates were in the 1400's. Knowing that Ferdinand and Isabel had walked there was eerie; kind of the way I felt when I walked through the older parts of Boston.
Today (Sunday), Emily, Tracy, and I met some of the Duke people and went to El Rastro, what some say is the largest street market in the world. It only happens on Sundays, and I can see why, because it's HUGE! Several streets full of vendors selling jewelry, scarves, movies, music, clothing, hats, belts, ad more. Definitely the place to shop for a good deal. I'm looking forward to buying scares for only 2 Euro!
Now, for your viewing pleasure, the bidet in my bathroom:
Weirdest. Bathroom fixture. EVER.
Colleen, they're not that bad. Just make sure the temp. of the water isn't too hot when you turn it on!!!
ReplyDelete